Monday, March 28, 2011
I've known for a couple weeks now, but I forgot to post about it on here. And....I never documented my design..But i'll be sure to take a million pictures of it and the rug at the student exhibition after graduation!!! I'm really excited to see my rug!
It's finally finished. Here's my poster submission for Somerset and the Detroit Shoppe. And if you aren't aware, there used to be fallow deer that roamed free on Belle Isle, but now there are just a few in a fenced off area.
Monday, March 21, 2011
All my friends already had the class I'm currently in, where this t-shirt design was an assignment. So I already knew about it, and was coming up with ideas long before the class started. This design came to me right before I fell asleep one night haha. I thought the contrast of hardcore knuckle tattoos and geekery were quite funny.
I did these a little while ago in my Advanced Illustration and Design class. I like all of them. So it's hard to choose just one to use. I think I'll use a combination. Maybe...
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Very rough color study (photoshop) for my new painting based on the Mexican Day of the Dead celebration. I'm starting a new series of paintings for senior studio class, and this is the one I'm most excited about. The animal skulls will be my take on sugar skulls (and will have more decoration and ornamentation on them than what you see in the color rough, I just haven't drawn it in yet). The series is based on native art forms, roughly speaking. I say roughly speaking because Day of the Dead art is not typically considered a native art form as is say aboriginal art or Native American art (which will be the other two in the series).
I'm excited for this series because I'm trying to experiment more with layers. As you can see in this painting I've started the layering process. I used the Mexican cut paper decorations, commonly used in Day of the Dead offrendas as inspiration for the diamond pattern you see in the background of the piece. I first gesso-ed the wood panel, then hand painted the diamond pattern, using a lot of liquin in order to make the paint more transparent. I then applied two layers of watered down gesso over the dried pattern to subdue it. I might add a color glaze over the whole background when I'm done painting all the other elements, but I'm not sure yet.